Thursday 6 March 2014

Beans_Lorenzo and Canada_Part 3


 


… My sister Maia was turning one. Her birthday party was a point of no return: my daddy was about to leave Italy in a couple of days.

Friends and family joined us. So many people were there! I was a little bit confused ‘cause everybody was asking if I was ready for the big change. I was not sure about what usually changes after your sister turns one.

All at a sudden, I heard people screaming, laughing and a very loud music. Everybody was jumping, singing, dancing and screaming “I gotta feeling”. My grandmothers too were dancing and clapping their hands – ok, the last one was my Grandma Ezia - in that clumsy way grandmas usually do.

Everybody seemed to be very happy. So, there was no reason for me to worry. I went to my mom and I started dancing and jumping with her. When she is in a silly mood, she can be so funny! She sings silly songs, she dances and invents new personal karate katas! She can even shuffle like Michael Jackson! Ok, not exactly like him, but at least she tries!

My daddy left. He was going to search a nice house for us to live in Canada. I had to stay because I promised him, I was going to take care of my mom and Maia. I actually did.

I helped my mother packing everything. Day by day, our home was becoming empty and cold. I was still attending my day care until, one month after my dad’s departure, she told me that the following day was going to be my last one with my teachers and classmates. At night she baked a chocolate cake full of chocolate candies and Nutella (if she did this in Canada, I am sure the principal would call the entire Police Department! Nuts-free…you know?). So, I celebrated!

When Daddy left, Maia and I were a little bit concerned. We were not so sure we were going to see Daddy again! So, Nonna Lilli, put some beans on a jar. She put about 60 beans. It was the exact amount of days we were supposed to stay without my Daddy. Every day we were removing one. I spent a couple of weeks at their house with Chiara, and the remaining days in Trapani with Mattia. It was Carnival, so we had so much fun!

I remember when I was in the car with my mom, she was asking how I felt. Was I scared? Sad? Excited? She was telling me she was a little bit sad and a little bit happy. Trying to be nice and gentle, I often said I felt the same. In those days, there were two songs my mom and I were listening to: Malamorenò e Baciami Ancora. I told my mom that the last one was making me think of my daddy soooo much! We were singing aloud, smiling and trying to picture our new future life.

Two more beans and it was time for us to leave…
 

No comments:

Post a Comment