Wednesday 19 February 2014

Little stories from Lorenzo_Immigration and Toys (Part I)


Hi! My name is Lorenzo and I live in Canada. Actually, I used to live in another country, on an island located in the middle of an amazing sea called Mediterranean. Until one day, my family and I decided that was time to leave.

Did I really decide? No of course! But when you are four and a half, unless it is your birthday, or you are really spoiled, it is unusual that adults think you can make your own choices. They have a point, though!

 Until the day my daddy and mommy explained to me what was about to happen, I remember I was going to an amazing beach almost every afternoon. Mom was riding the bike, I was just enjoying the show.
To me it looked amazing, although I remember my parents saying how bad it was that most of the people didn’t realize how fortunate they were. They were also saying something like, "one cannot live an entire life on a beautiful beach in happiness, when recklessness is all around".

I also remember we had lots of friends. We were hanging out with them a lot. A birthday party here, another celebration there…

Every morning my daddy used to drive me to a day care. Back then I was spending my days surrounded by many friends, and a couple of bullies. Trust me, that sort of little monsters who need to scream and threaten other children are all over the world. However, too bad for them! Being happy is cooler than being bully and, on top of that, if you grind your teeth like Hulk, you do risk pooing in your pants.  Aww, I wouldn’t take their place!

 Sometimes I used to pretend to ride a motorcycle with my Daddy and, believe me, that was sooooo cool!

One part of my family lived in Palermo, the same city I come from. We were often visiting my daddy’s parents and relatives. Nonna Lilli was a librarian. She still loves to play with kids and tell them as many stories as she can. She actually changes her voice depending on the character who is speaking. She knows everything about the history of my city. Why we eat strange street food, why we have so many beautiful old palaces, and she was repeating almost every Sunday she wanted to bring all her grandchildren on a tour of the city by chariot. That would have been so cool, but my daddy was always saying no ‘cause it was too expensive!

I don’t understand why parents are like that sometimes! It looks like cool stuff is always expensive, while going to a doctor, having a shot, going to school is cheap enough to do it every day! Anyway, they say one day I will understand. I guess I have to be patient…

Then, there were Nonno Lorenzo, Auntie Claudia, uncle Filippo and my cousin Chiara.

Yes, you are right! I have my grandpa’s name. Apparently he didn’t want me to have his name, but my mom decided that, and I soon understood that between the 2 of them it was better to stay quiet. They loved each-other and the way they used to show it, it was kind of awkward from my altitude.

Some other weekends we used to visit my other two grandparents who lived in another city, and there, on the top of a green hill there was their cottage, Luziano.  Oh, that was fun! With my cousin Mattia we were both doing crazy stuff: climbing on trees, looking for insects, fighting…well! That was not exactly cool…but it was fun at least for us! I am sure Auntie Cinzia and my Mom would look at this thing differently! We’d better not ask.

My Grandpa Salvo used to buy fresh fish and sea urchins early in the morning, every time we were sleeping over at their place. While my uncle Davide and uncle Fabrizio were actually able to catch octopuses, directly from the sea, with their hands! If you haven’t tried already, you should see how mushy and squishy their tentacles are!                                                                  


Grandma Ezia used to cook delicious dishes. One day we even had squid’s ink black spaghetti. Can you believe it? There’s actually a type of ink that is edible!  I think my dentist could faint if she saw my teeth after eating that.


We spent our last summer in Sicily visiting beautiful places. Sunsets on the beach, trips to smaller islands, sea and swimming pools, family and friends, love and laugh. My sister Maia was born the winter before, and I remember I had to share my lemon Popsicle with her every afternoon. This is what happens when you have siblings.

It doesn’t matter if you are just 3 years old. By the day they come out from mommy’s belly, the most used word in the family is “share”. You start sharing everything even though that small, chubby, noisy and tooth-less human being is actually chewing on your favorite toys which, from now on, are constantly covered in a squishy layer of saliva.

She was cute, though! And, most important, she was going to move to Canada with us. I was not the only child, then! And, trust me! That was good news…

One day Mommy and Daddy put me in front of my toys cabinet. They started saying we were going to bring some of my toys with me, while giving others to children less fortunate than I was. When you are four, it is not always easy to accept the idea that, all of a sudden, you have to get rid of your toys.

I guess by the time one becomes an adult, many important things flew away like geese heading south. For example, one forgets that as a child, it doesn’t matter if you play or not with a certain toy anymore. What really matters to you is that feeling of certainty, the fact that you would be able to find it, lost under a hill of broken stuff, should you decide to resume it.

I was not sure if it was a good idea trying to convince them to bring everything with us. They thought I was a “big boy” when, with a big smile, I accepted their offer. I don’t know if I really was. All that I know is that now I can tell the truth. I was not happy about that, but that sad, shy glimpse in their eyes suggested it was nicer of me to stay quiet and help them out in a difficult and embarrassing moment.

(…)

No comments:

Post a Comment