Friday 14 February 2014

It's a matter of fact!


If I believed in the theory of multiple lives (thing I am still debating about with myself), I would say I used to be part of Canada in one of my previous lives.

Not sure about the period, though!

When I was seven years old and I was in Italy I wrote a composition describing my ideal future life. Each single detail there seems to be a representation of the place I live in today.
Growing up, at university, I fell in love with The Bear by Marian Angel. I loved the description of that wilderness so much to propose a doctorate project on Canadian Literature produced by Canadian women.
Few years later, out of the blue, we decided to move to Canada...

In March I've been living here for four years. I remember when I arrived, many people were telling me that it was a matter of time.
- Wait a couple of winters and you'll tell me if you change your mind!

This winter apparently is one of the harshest in decades. I should have changed my mind a couple of times already. One day the snow was so high and the side-walk so slippery that I could barely walk to go to pick my kids at school.

 Big, huge, soft, tender snowflakes were coming down from a white sky. It was really cold, so cold that between Rudolph and me there was not so much difference. My imaginary friends, little gnomes who love singing and dancing, were actually jumping all around singing, "Claudia, the red nose reindeer has a very shining nose...

The wind was blowing pretty hard that day and snow dust whirls were all around. I liked to picture myself like one of those photos showing people from the arctic...even though everything was much easier and comfortable for me.

This morning, Valentine's Day, I fell in love again. Walking through the park, with the snow coming down, I found myself amazed with an accelerated heartbeat and that feeling one can experience when, after half an hour of noise, a sudden moment of quietness occurs.

It is not all poetry, I know. The best example that comes to my mind is that winter in Canada is like those grumpy children that can make you feel really frustrated. So frustrated that you pray you would never have one of those, but that suddenly fall asleep, you look at and you cannot see anything else other than Beauty!

Canada, it's not a matter of time, it's a matter of fact in my life, it is deep in my heart and stuck in my head...literally!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment