Wednesday 19 February 2014

Canadian Citizenship Test_The moment of truth

Unbelievable! It is actually happening. I got it. I received the letter inviting me to present myself for the Canadian citizenship test.
I didn't expect it any soon, and obviously it was kind of overwhelming to see a date, a time, an address where I was supposed to show up in three weeks.

When I arrived to Canada, "when can you apply for the citizenship?" was one of the most asked questions. You know you are going to apply when it's time for you to do so. However, that moment seems to be so far that you really don't pay attention to that.

We counted the days, the hours. We collected documents, we worked to build our personal story in a new welcoming country, and yet we didn't really think that moment was right behind the corner. At least, I didn't.

I should have, though! Probably, if I had thought carefully about that, I wouldn't have experienced that overwhelming feeling similar to one of those waves crashing onto the shores that, after pulling back, leave a wet shade on the sand. It's a moment, an instant of awkward but pleasant pause. It's a sudden silent in your thought, prologue of an expectation, a wait for something to happen soon, but you really don't know what...

             wave                                           motion of                                        with your
                      and                        endless                the flow                in sync               heartbeat
Another                the apparently                                       starts being


I have already finished the book, and I will have time to re-read it again. After going beyond the feeling of fear, I actually appreciated the fact I am supposed to study the history, the geography, and the politics of the place I decided to live in. It makes sense to me. Perfect sense.

We take for granted many things especially when we were born in democratic countries but, if for only one second, we realize how many people fought to give us those rights, the perspective changes...

Will I pass the test? I will let you know...meanwhile, if you applied, study! You never know if, after pulling back, that wave is actually prelude of a Tsunami!




"Canada is a constitutional monarchy, a parliamentary democracy and a federal state" (Discover Canada)


2 comments: