Saturday 12 April 2014

Night thoughts_Quotes and Immigration / Pensieri notturni_Citazioni e Immigrazione




I was reading a story to my kids last night. I actually told Maia she was about to listen to one of the masterpieces of Literature. I think it is incredible how few, "simple" words, in a book, can have the power to make you feel "small".
There is one sentence that has that influence on me. It's the last sentence of the first chapter of The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery.

"Then I would never talk to that person about boa constrictors, or primeval forests, or stars. I would bring myself down to his level. I would talk to him about bridge and gold, and politics, and neckties. And the grown-up would be greatly pleased to have met such a sensible man."

This phrase has the power to make me stay humble every single time I read it. Even if I re-read it after a 5 minutes break, I find it extremely powerful. Extremely true and appropriate. I feel odd, I feel like the one who forgets to appreciate "a boa constrictor in the act of eating an elephant".

Immigration, in my opinion, can have the same type of power. Once you immigrate the first thing you have to deal with is a huge request for humility. This can be very frustrating, especially for those who used to work at very high levels, or were just surrounded by people who were continuously reminding them how smart they were. That is not easy. It doesn't matter what you were doing, whom you knew. You have to start all over again. You can think it is unjust, sad, and frustrating. You are actually right. However, It doesn't matter. This is the game.
I thought a lot about it. I still do whenever I feel "out of place".  I see people struggling because of this condition. Many times they have their reasons. But here is the point: we have to demonstrate what we are capable of.
Immigration, on the other hand, I find has to power to remind us what our real strengths are. It helped me a lot when there was need to improve certain skills, as well as it helped me to get rid of some mental prejudices we naturally bring with us.
There are not many choices. We decided how we want to play this game. We really do. We decide if we want to be in, out, or simply castaways lost in a ocean of frustration, dreams and no action.

"People where you live," the little prince said, "grow five thousand roses in one garden...yet they don't find what they are looking for...
They don't find it," I answered.
And yet what they're looking for could be found in a single rose, or a little water..."
Of course," I answered.
And the little prince added, "But eyes are blind. You have to look with the heart.”
(The Little Prince)



Ieri sera leggevo una storia ai miei figli. In realtà ho detto a Maia che stava per ascoltare uno dei capolavori della letteratura. Mi sembra incredibile come, poche, "semplici" parole, abbiano il potere di farti sentire "piccolo".
C'è una frase che ha questo potere su di me. È l'ultima frase del primo capitolo de Il Piccolo Principe di Antoine De Saint-Exupery.

"E allora non parlavo di boa, di foreste primitive, di stelle. Mi abbassavo al suo livello. Gli parlavo di bridge, di golf, di politica, di cravatte. E lui era tutto soddisfatto di avere incontrato un uomo tanto sensibile."

Questa frase ha il potere di rendermi umile ogni volta che la leggo. Anche se la rileggo dopo appena cinque minuti di pausa, la trovo estremamente potente. Vera e appropriata. Mi sento strana, mi sento come quella che dimentica di apprezzare "un boa nell'atto di mangiare un elefante."

L'emigrazione, secondo me, può esercitare lo stesso potere. Una volta emigrato, una delle prime cose con le quali si deve avere a che fare è la richiesta di modestia. Ciò può essere molto frustrante, specialmente per quelli abituati a posizioni molto alte o ad essere circondati da gente che gli ricordava continuamente quanto fossero brillanti. Non è facile. Non importa cosa stessi facendo prima, quali fossero le tue conoscenze. Devi ricominciare tutto da capo. Puoi credere sia ingiusto, triste e frustrante. Di fatto, hai ragione. Tuttavia, non importa. Questo è il gioco.
Ci ho pensato a lungo. Ancora lo faccio tutte le volte in cui mi sento "fuori luogo". Vedo spesso persone in difficoltà nel fronteggiare questa sensazione. Molte volte hanno le loro buone ragioni. Ma, ecco il punto: lo dobbiamo dimostrare ciò che sappiamo fare.
L'emigrazione, d'altro canto, ritengo abbia il potere di ricordarci quali siano i nostri veri punti di forza. Mi ha aiutata parecchio quando c'è stato di bisogno di migliorare certe capacità, così come quando dovevo liberarmi di certi pregiudizi che naturalmente ci portiamo dietro.
Non vi sono molte opzioni. Decidiamo noi che gioco vogliamo giocare. Lo facciamo davvero. Decidiamo se vogliamo essere dentro, fuori o semplicemente naufraghi sperduti in un oceano di frustrazione, sogno e inattività.

"Da te, gli uomini," disse il piccolo principe, "coltivano cinquemila rose nello stesso giardino...e non trovano quello che cercano..."
"Non lo trovano," risposi.
"E tuttavia quello che cercano potrebbe essere trovato in una sola rosa o in un po' d'acqua..."
"Certo," risposi.
E il piccolo principe aggiunse, "Ma gli occhi sono ciechi. Bisogna cercare col cuore.”
(Il piccolo principe)


No comments:

Post a Comment